Drennan Law Firm Drennan Law Firm Dui & Traffic Law Center
843-352-4149 Free Consultation
COVID-19 Notice: Drennan Law Firm is fully operational in accordance with safety regulations provided by the CDC and local health officials. Our attorneys continue to provide quality legal representation and are available to discuss your case over the phone, email, or Apple FaceTime.

Out of state? You can still get a DUI

South Carolina, like other states, prohibits people from driving when they are impaired by alcohol. South Carolina's blood alcohol content limit is .08%, which means that anyone at or over that limit can be charged with a DUI. If you are under the limit, you may still face a DUI if you fail the roadside sobriety tests or if there is other evidence of intoxication or impairment.

If you are not from South Carolina but are facing a DUI, you can still face criminal penalties. If you are under 21, you can have your license automatically suspended for three months. You will lose it for six months if you have a prior offense. The law allows a BAC of up to .02% before penalties for the zero-tolerance law apply. If you refuse to consent to BAC testing, then you will have your license automatically suspended for six months on a first offense and a year for a second or subsequent offense.

Can commercial drivers lose their license for getting a DUI?

Commercial drivers who get a DUI in South Carolina are disqualified from driving for a year, but if you are from out of state, it is a good idea to talk to your attorney about which penalties apply to you. For commercial drivers, a BAC of .04% is enough to get a DUI conviction, as is refusing to take a breath test. If you are caught driving with a BAC of .04% or above in your commercial vehicle or even on your own time in your personal vehicle, you could face the loss of your commercial license in this state.

There are additional penalties that drivers in South Carolina could face, and those may apply to you even if you're not from the state. To help your case, it's smart to reach out to your attorney right away. You can work with them to fight the charges and to work out what kinds of penalties may be used against you as an out-of-state driver.

What should you do if you're stopped for a DUI?

Unless you know you're over the aggravated DUI limit, you should allow the BAC testing to proceed. Otherwise, you'll lose your license. If the test shows that you are under .08%, you may be able to negotiate lower penalties or have the accusations and charges dropped completely based on your situation and what occurred that day or night.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Call Drennan Law Firm — Free Initial Consultation

Speak with a Charleston criminal lawyer today who will work with you directly, one-on-one.
Please call us at 843-352-4149 or email us to schedule a meeting or for prompt legal assistance.

Email Us 24/7 For Fast Answers

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Main Office
1350 Chuck Dawley Blvd
Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464

Toll Free: 888-722-6179
Phone: 843-352-4149
Phone: 843-606-2970
Fax: 843-606-2971
Mt. Pleasant Law Office Map

Branch Office
Local: 843-225-2384
Toll Free: 888-722-6179