Drennan Law Firm Drennan Law Firm Dui & Traffic Law Center
843-352-4149 Free Consultation
COVID-19 Notice: Drennan Law Firm is fully operational in accordance with safety regulations provided by the CDC and local health officials. Our attorneys continue to provide quality legal representation and are available to discuss your case over the phone, email, or Apple FaceTime.

3 types of driver's licenses you might qualify for after a DUI

One of the impacts of a drunk driving conviction in South Carolina is that you can lose your ability to drive legally. A drivers' license suspension is one of the primary sentences that you can receive. Some individuals might not realize that there may be options that you can utilize to enable you to drive in a limited capacity.

The exact type of license you're eligible for depends on several factors. Your attorney can help determine if you may qualify for one. Knowing the differences between them is beneficial so you understand what you can do.

Temporary alcohol license

If you file for an administrative hearing, you may qualify for a temporary alcohol license. The cost is $100 and is only valid until you receive the results of the administrative hearing. Your administrative hearing must be for one of these:

  • .02% BAC or higher if you're under 21
  • .15% BAC
  • Implied consent under 21
  • Implied consent

Provisional driver's license

A provisional license is valid for a 6-month term if you're facing a first offense drunk driving charge. There are some specific points that must be met in order for you to qualify for this license. If you meet them, you must pay a $100 fee. These are the qualifications:

  • Enrolled in the Alcohol and Drug Safety Action Program
  • Have a valid South Carolina driver's license or an exemption
  • No other suspensions with a few exceptions
  • Meet all requirements for prior cancellations, revocations and suspensions
  • A BAC of .14% or less for violations on or after October 1, 2014

Route restricted driver's license

It's sometimes possible to get a restricted license that allows you to drive to and from work, school, a court ordered drug program or the Alcohol and Drug Safety Action Program. You can also drive during work or school. This license is valid for the length of your suspension. You can only have one route restricted driver's license in your lifetime. The alcohol-related charges that can lead to eligibility include:

  • Implied consent
  • BAC of .15% or higher
  • Alcohol violation

Dealing with the loss of your driver's license is only one small part of what you need to think about when you're facing a drunk driving charge. Your defense attorney can help you to work out a defense strategy. Try to get started quickly so you don't have to rush.

No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information

Call Drennan Law Firm — Free Initial Consultation

Speak with a Charleston criminal lawyer today who will work with you directly, one-on-one.
Please call us at 843-352-4149 or email us to schedule a meeting or for prompt legal assistance.

Email Us 24/7 For Fast Answers

Bold labels are required.

Contact Information

The use of the Internet or this form for communication with the firm or any individual member of the firm does not establish an attorney-client relationship. Confidential or time-sensitive information should not be sent through this form.


Privacy Policy

Main Office
1350 Chuck Dawley Blvd
Mt. Pleasant, SC 29464

Toll Free: 888-722-6179
Phone: 843-352-4149
Phone: 843-606-2970
Fax: 843-606-2971
Mt. Pleasant Law Office Map

Branch Office
Local: 843-352-4149
Toll Free: 888-722-6179