John L. Drennan
In Memoriam 1965-2018
Following the passing of firm founder John Drennan, the attorneys at Drennan Law Firm continue to honor John's legacy by zealously fighting for the rights of those accused of criminal offenses.
In 1983, Mr. Drennan attended The Citadel: The Military College of South Carolina, on a golf scholarship. John lettered his Freshman year on the golf team and placed fifteenth (15th) in the Southern Conference Championship. John wanted to play Varsity Division 1 sports, like his father did when he Captained the Varsity Baseball Team at Virginia Tech. While at The Citadel Mr. Drennan was awarded the James K Coleman Award for Excellence in Constitutional Law. Mr. Drennan graduated from The Citadel in 1987 he attended the University of South Carolina School of Law. While in law school, John was awarded an American Jurisprudence Award and was a certified patrol officer FOR THE TOWN OF OAK BLUFFS on Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts. Mr. Drennan worked in Phillip Rollins District Attorney's Office for Cape Cod and the Islands.
Upon graduation, John was sworn as a lawyer in South Carolina; thereafter, John rose to the position of Senior Trial Staff Attorney for the Charleston County Public Defenders Office in Charleston where he successfully tried over 20 cases in four years. John attended the National Criminal Defense College (known as the "trial college") and became a Trial Lawyer for Joye Law Firm and focused his practice primarily on traffic law cases. Mr. Drennan was an attendee of fourteen summer sessions of the NATIONAL COLLEGE FOR DUI DEFENSE held at Harvard University Law School in Cambridge, Massachusetts. Lastly, John was a Lifetime member of the National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL), and a member of the South Carolina Criminal Defense Lawyer Association.
Attorney Drennan had been involved in difficult cases all his career ranging from death penalty cases, felony DUI death cases, sexual assaults and domestic assaults and has tried drug cases against the F.B.I., D.E.A., and the A.T.F. in United States District Court. Mr. Drennan attended numerous DUI training seminars as both as an attendee and as a lecturer. He was a court qualified breath test expert witness regarding the Data master breath testing instrument and testified on several occasions regarding the inaccuracy of the Datamaster. John lectured Judges, Police Officers and Lawyers regarding DUI issues in the State of South Carolina. Mr. Drennan was on the Board of Directors for Skyland Ranch, (Drug and Alcohol Treatment Facility).
Mr. Drennan had also been an Adjunct Professor in the English Department at The Citadel where he taught Rhetoric in the Law, Legal Writing and Coached the Mock Trial Team.
Areas Of Practice
- Traffic Violations
- Criminal Law
- University of South Carolina School of Law, Columbia, South Carolina
- Honors: American Jurisprudence Award
- The Citadel
- The Drennan Law Firm
- Get Your DUI Defense Started Now
- DUI Blog
- What We Do
- Winning Tough DUI Cases
- Rhetoric in the Law, Legal Writing and Coached the Mock Trial Team, Adjunct Professor in the English Department at The Citadel
- Guest speaker with the Character and Values Series, The Citadel
Honors and Awards
- James K Coleman Award for Excellence in Constitutional Law
- Court qualified breath test expert witness regarding the Data master breath testing instrument
Professional Associations and Memberships
- National Association of Criminal Defense Lawyers (NACDL), Lifetime member
- South Carolina Criminal Defense Lawyer Association, Sustaining member
- Skyland Ranch, (Drug and Alcohol Treatment Facility)., Board of Directors
Past Employment Positions
- Town Of Oak Bluffs on Martha's Vineyard, Massachusetts, Certified patrol officer
- Phillip Rollins District Attorney's Office for Cape Cod and the Islands
- Charleston County Public Defenders Office in Charleston, Senior Trial Staff Attorney
- Joye Law, Trial Lawyer
Pro Bono Activities
- Assisting Cadets at The Citadel Counseling Department