Can I Sue If I’m Hurt In A Store Or Restaurant?

As patrons of restaurants, grocery stores and other facilities, we have every right to expect these places will be safe, free from dangerous conditions that could cause serious harm. But all too often they are not.

Slip-and-fall accidents and other injuries in public places are all too common. Unfortunately, many people who are hurt in a restaurant or store are reluctant to sue. Either they think the accident was their fault, they don't think their injuries are significant enough to sue or they just never get around to calling an attorney.

At Drennan Law Firm, our lawyers will fight for you. Even if you think your injuries are insignificant, it's worth calling. We can help you determine whether you have a viable case. We serve clients in Mount Pleasant, Charleston and the surrounding areas of South Carolina.

Accidents In Public Places

In legal terms, we call it "premises liability". Property owners are responsible for keeping their place safe for visitors. When there are dangerous conditions on the property and someone gets hurt as a result, the victim can bring a legal claim against the owner or manager for compensation.

These premises liability accidents can occur in any public place, but restaurants and stores are the most common. Accidents can include:

  • Slip and fall: These are by far the most common of these accidents and are usually the result of some kind of spill that didn't get cleaned up.
  • Falling debris: It's not uncommon, especially at some of the big-box stores, to have heavy items stacked poorly on upper shelves. Too often, these items fall on people and cause serious injuries.
  • Falls: Sometimes stairways and escalators are in unsafe condition, and other times people can't reach items on upper shelves and they fall trying to reach them.

All of these injuries are significant. It is important to talk with a lawyer who can help you understand your rights and talk you through the process of bringing a legal claim.

At Drennan Law Firm, we will fight for you and help you get the best compensation award possible. Call us at 843-352-4149 or contact us online.